Simple Men’s Face Care
Ok men, yesterday was the 2oth time in the last two weeks that I had a someone ask me what the best skin care product was “for a guy” (to which I laugh because there isn’t any difference between the basic needs of human skin from gender to gender). I understand that most manly men do not favor taking the time for a full skin care regime so with that in mind, I’m going to try to make this as simple as humanly possible. Here you go:
A Man’s One Shot Face Cream:
(in retrospect I should think of rephrasing that)
There are 2 to 3 components to a face cream that you need to look at.
- Are you in the sun? If the answer is “kind of” or “I like to go outdoors” then you need a mild SPF
- Basic moisturizer will NOT cut it! If you can’t put in the time for a multifaceted skin regime, you need a something with an anti-ager. This will make the skin appear younger and more vibrant (yes, you want that)
- Most men have normal to oily skin, unless you live in an aired environment or work outdoors. You’ll want to consider a cream, not gel moisturizer, even if your skin is prone to breakouts or excessively oily. A solid cream will help stabilize the skin’s oil production. Don’t overdue it, your skin will tell you how much to use: If it’s tight, put a little on, if you get shinny or your skin feels saturated, you’ve used too much. Either one can lead to break outs so be careful.
With the above in mind I recommend (please note: I’m recommending this because I and many others I know use this and have found it to be beneficial. Sadly, I’m not getting paid to say this)
Clinique Youth Surge SPF 15 Age Decelerating Moisturizer
Bam! everything you need in one steel grey (manly color) container for a few cents under $50.
How to use it:
- Wash your face. Use a mild cleanser (not a cheap drug store cop out), if you want to stick with Clinique then use the Liquid Facial Soap, its $16,
- If that is all you can manage, then fine, wash your face and put on your cream. If you have 3 seconds to spare:
- Use a toner AKA: Clarifying Lotion. This is a GREAT step! It balances the ph level of the skin, reducing pores and increasing the effectiveness of your skin cream (this is done right after you cleanse).
Need a boost? skin looking tiered 🙁 Exfoliate! This removes all the nasty dead and dried skin cells leaving you looking fresh and younger…which equals more attractive. Please be gentle when exfoliating, way to many guys rub off the first 3 layers of skin when they first attempt this. A little will go along way, lightly exfoliate in small circles for no more than 10 seconds, then wash, tone and moisturize.
Those are the basics, if you want to add on and be as youthful as you can be, check back as I will be posting my personal skin care ritual in the next couple weeks. Oh also, you may want to use an eye cream (I haven’t included it here as this is for the man with little time, taking the fist steps into skin care).
To all the girlfriends/wives out there… You’re Welcome.