Shop With the 2014 Fashion Trends in Mind
It occurs to me that I haven’t done a trend round up in a while, and since Spring/Summer 2014 has finally decided to make it’s debut, I thought we’d run down some essentials for your summer strut.
While you’re out shopping, basking in the pride of stimulating the economy, keep these 5 top trends in mind:
1) Mono is back – that’s monochromatic, not the gross sleepy, swollen mono. This should need no explanation, what’s simpler than pairing black, white and grey? ‘Nough said.
2) I love this one: “Wonderlust”. No, it’s not a pack of wondering sluts, it’s all about animal print (see: how much is too much animal print). Golden rule here: 1 animal at a time, less is more. In addition to the animal prints, the Tribal look is very in, with an African, Moroccan’ish feel.
3) If in doubt, plaster yourself in light pink and smear it with flowers. One this season’s main go-to colors is pink, top that off with a floral pattern and you’ll reek of fine fashion trendiness.
4) Does that look cheap? Or, is that iridescent skirt/top/pant/dress/handbag the fetch-est thing ever? Yes, it is. To do it right think: Lanvin, Marc by Marc Jacobs and 3.1 Phillip Lim. For a sweet dress, try this Cynthia Rowley (Left,$410) or this TopShop skirt (Center, $76). In addition colorful metallic are still very popular in the collections and they go hand-in-hand with the iridescent trend. Be careful, metallic done wrong will look like you wrapped yourself in tinfoil.
5) Mesh, I cringe a little every time mesh is a thing. If you’re toned and you know it, you can wear mesh. If not, don’t. There I said it. Alternatively, if you’re not into the grand reveal that is mesh, look for a garment that incorporates it in a subtle way like this Marc by Marc Jacobs top (right).
Okay, 6 fashion trends (7 if you want to include crop tops, but we won’t) Brand Whoredom: Logo’s are big this year, and the bigger the logo the better. Designers is always better, but if you’re not in the mood to be a walking billboard, just pick a large printed shirt, or whatever, and wear it loud and proud.
Have fun and make sure to include these summer 2014 fashion trends in your everyday wardrobe!