Typically I would recommend a scythe to the face rather than wearing pleats… but, since it is a major trend this season I will write a post on the do’s and don’ts of pleat wearing.
We will start with the DO NOT’s because they are a lot more fun!
- DO NOT wear pleated pants / shorts… EVER! They make your hips look like balloons and your butt appear fluffy and saggy all at the same time! Oh and, if your pleated pants are actually too tight the pleats spread apart and resemble Uncle Karl’s lips.
- DO NOT let your Dry Cleaner steam out the crisp pleats. They will turn into an Elizabethan Ruff instead of the strict straight severe pleats you yearn for.
- Lastly DO NOT mix a bouffant top with pleated bottoms. Whether it be a skirt or a short or a pant a puffy top mixed with a full bottom will give your figure this strangely unwanted Tim Burtonesque created silhouette that will leave people asking you, “Who are you supposed to be?” in the middle of April.
Now that you have these DO NOT’s burned into your mind it is time to learn the DO’s of pleat wearing.
- DO wear a pleated dress that is made out of a light weight silk that flows as you walk. Any fabric that flows gracefully when wind is applied will also work well with this look.DO follow the words of a trusted stylist or personal shopper when buying any item of clothing with pleats in the back. The possibilities of this to go horribly wrong are all to great but with a trusted friend or shopper you can actually get the right amount of back pleat without looking like your back is pregnant.
- DO look at the scale before you don a pair of pleated anything! A word of advice. Pleats spread as much as the wearer has.
I certainly hope this has helped you decipher when and (most importantly) when NOT TO wear pleats. Good luck in Spring 2012 with this trend. Here are some examples of excellently made and worn pleated looks.
Send me a picture of you wearing pleats correctly through the Spring 2012 season (February-September 2012) and I will award the winner with a feature in our new Gallery.