Arthur Mendonça. Yay! I have been following his career since a friend of mine, that I was styling, said: “…have you seen Arthur Mendonça, his collection is fab and he’s soooo cute” and she was right….all on accounts!
I was thrilled to have the chance to interview Arthur after his stunning Spring 2012 runway so at LG Fashion Week.
- Since showing your collection in New York, London, and other fashion capitals, what is the difference in audience response to your collections?
“It’s always different to do it in Toronto the hometown I always feel very loved and a lot of support but it’s also very exciting to do in other cities and feeling that challenge when you get a good response there as well, a show’s a show a show”
- What was the feeling, when you saw your pieces on Rihanna, Nelle Furtado and other celebrities?
“It’s Great! I mean Nelly’s fantastic she’s great to work with and she’s Canadian, She’s from the same island, She’s a sweetheart It’s always exciting”
- I LOVE your collection! But as a man I want to love and wear your collection! When (if ever) will you design a men’s collection?
“I know! I would love to make menswear as well! One day… one day…”
- So Liz Taylor as Cleopatra, how or what specifically influenced your spring 2012 collection? Is the collection a tribute to the iconic actor?
It’s kind of serendipitous I was reading her new biography and halfway through reading it Elizabeth Taylor passed away and then the film was on every week, and then Egypt erupted and at that time I was picking fabrics and I was drawn to all iof this color and prints and texture and… EUREKA!”
- Any hints for next season? Where will the collection be shown? Main inspiration?
“I’m feeling romantic… romantic… very romantic”
- Any particular reason?
“No reason, [laughs] but sexy and romantic, soft and seductive.”