Tadashi Shoji Fall Winter 2013 2014 Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week
Meeting Tadashi Shoji was a great moment today. I am so thankful that I got to see behind the scenes and actually be in the same room as Tadashi. He is a great designer who’s Japanese background influences his creations and always leaves me breathless. Today the Shoji show was full to the brim with backstage model mayhem, ravenous media front of house and an overabundance of powerful dresses.
Being as it was one of the first shows I got to see at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York, I was a little overwhelmed but was still able to experience some magical backstage moments and hold it together while I watched amazing gowns walk the runway. Seeing the gowns up close was so much more than I could have hoped for and a close up if a Shoji gown is always a fantastic experience. Picture metallic weaving melding with glass beading. Peplums jutting out from slender cut waists and layers and layers of lace pouring out over seams. These elements worked synergistically to create an elegance revival and allowed for glitz to work it’s way into sophisticated styles including daywear dresses and tunics.
When I was looking at one of the evening dresses that had a red and blue digital design on it… I couldn’t help but think of Russia’s Kremlin and the intricacies that are present on the spire tops. After overhearing Tadashi Shoji speaking abut his trip to Russia I immediately understood the detailed prints. Fabergé eggs are also known for their detailed artistry and the Fall 2013 dresses took me right to the tzars and tzarinas of Russia who were getting finely detailed eggs as well as clothing.
I have to also mention a moment of aspiration… there was this guy backstage… (who knows who he was, actually everyone seemed to know who he was but anyway,) and he had a jacket that was black and had lace all over it not unlike the Tadashi Shoji dresses. Be still my beating heart! I want one.
From Tadashi Shoji:
The Fall collection tells a tale of exiled nobility, inspired by the splendor of the Russian Empire and the eventual fall of imperial rule.
Our journey begins in St. Petersburg, Russia. Most impressive was the city itself, shrouded in the darkness of winter. The resplendent Winter Palace shone brilliantly against the shadowy backdrop of a darkened sky.
It was a time fraught with turbulence. Exiled royalty fled to Siberia, disguised in peasant clothing. Inspired by this escape, this collection marries aristocratic style with folkloric details. Rich silks and cut velvets are paired with soft silhouettes and traditional embroidered patterns. Precious gems are veiled with gossamer layers of tulle, while heavily embroidered lace is encrusted with pearls.
High-back vestments of Russia’s Orthodox clergy influenced the collection’s back structure, voluminous shapes, and trapeze silhouettes. Bold hues of sapphire blue, burgundy, and carmine red are paired with luminescent blush tones of pale pink, rosetaupe, and snow.
This season, we invite you to travel back in time to wintertide in Russia, to explore an age of grandeur and to immerse yourself in a collection inspired by an enchanting dynastic past.
- FRANZI – BLACK/IVORY BONDED WOOL LACE HIGH NECK LONG SLEEVE DRESS
- MARIA – BLACK/IVORY BONDED WOOL LACE WATTEAU BACK LONG SLEEVE TOP WITH BLACK NEOPRENE
- TUXEDO PANTS
- JULIA – BLACK/IVORY BONDED WOOL LACE WATTEAU BACK 3/4 SLEEVE DRESS
- STEFFI – SAPPHIRE BONDED LACE AND CHIFFON WATTEAU BACK SLEEVELESS DRESS
- VALERY – BURGUNDY BONDED LACE AND CHIFFON WATTEAU BACK CAP SLEEVE TRAPEZE DRESS
- NASTYA – BLACK/IVORY BONDED LACE AND CHIFFON SHORT SLEEVE TOP WITH DEEP AMBER/BLACK PAISLEY
- PRINTED GAZAR FULL SKIRT AND LEATHER BELT
- YULIA – SAPPHIRE/BLACK PAISLEY PRINTED GAZAR STRAPLESS DROP WAIST DRESS
- KELY – DEEP AMBER/BLACK PAISLEY PRINTED GAZAR BOATNECK DROP WAIST GOWN
- MAGDA – BLACK CHIFFON KEYHOLE LONG SLEEVE GOWN WITH BLACK/SAPPHIRE REEMBROIDERED LACE
- YUMI – BLACK CHIFFON DRESS WITH BLACK/IVORY REEMBROIDERED LACE NECKLINE
- MARIHENNY – BLACK CHIFFON HIGH NECK LONG SLEEVE DRESS WITH BLACK/CARMINE REEMBROIDERED LACE
- KAYLEY – CARMINE CUT VELVET BLOUSON BACK LONG SLEEVE GOWN
- MANON – BLACK CUT VELVET BLOUSON BACK SLEEVELESS GOWN
- ELLA – ROSE TAUPE WASHED VELVET BLOUSON BACK LONG SLEEVE GOWN WITH BLACK BEADED LACE INSET
- CODIE – DUSTY NAVY WASHED VELVET CZARINA SLEEVE GOWN
VALERY – BLACK WASHED VELVET GOWN WITH SATIN PIPED LACE PANELED BODICE AND BOW TRIMMED STRAPS